My Onion Pi

If you can figure out the name, you'll know what it's about. Fortunately, I'm literate. I'm also funny on occasion. Just beware of the flying PMS.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Learning to fly


Did anyone happen to see the picture of Condoleezza Rice in the New York Times on Thursday?? Well it's priceless. She's shown standing at a microphone with Prime Minister Fouad Siniora of Lebanon next to her and she's holding her head and looking like she's about to puke, pass out or both. The caption should read "Why did I take this job, why DID I take this job?" Maybe FS5 can scare it up. He's good at stuff like that.

Other good news in the Times: Chicago orders "Big Box" stores to raises wages. To a mere $10 an hour by 2010 and an additional $3.oo in benefits. Paltry, but it's a start.

Another piece of news that made old Hammy smile: The securities and exchange commission adopted a set of rules to make it easier to see how much top executives are paid.

Well, well. All in all 3 good reasons to buy the NY Times.

So I've been taking out my love life angst with power tools in the form of sanding down and refinishing my daughters dressers. God power tools are theraputic!! And cheaper than buying shoes, although they don't look as nice...

I went to the grocery store to return my empty bottles and in comes this guy (who I have seen walking around town from time to time) who has one huge mat of hair from the top of his head to the back of his knees. He has several layers of clothes on, including a parka jacket (This is July, and even in Buffalo it's warm in July) and has an odor radius of about 2 and 1/2 feet and is laughing to himself (with some gusto I might add). He ends up standing in the checkout line behind me in order to redeem his bottle tickets for a bag of Dorito's. So I turned around and
gave him my bottle tickets. I figured he needed it more than me. If he weren't so plumb crazy I would have mentioned to him, that in the future - should he happen to need medical care - that several OTHER area hospitals have great ER's... just in case.

So I saw Pirates of the Carribean, Dead Man's Chest and I have to say I enjoyed the performance. Johnny Depp is great in that part and he's made it an excellent character.
However, it is a shameless set up for the third movie - even by Hollywood standards. Christ it almost feels like it ends in the middle of the goddamn movie. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden it's over? So, I'm like WTF? But I'll tell ya this - it takes some talent to make a guy with rotten teeth so goddamn sexy. Holy shit...Mm-mm-mmm. The kissing scenes make me want to spit, but he is a sexy, sexy man.

So Waka, the girls tell me you have a motorcycle!?! Is this true???? In that case why haven't ya come over here and given me a riding lesson....ya big shit...

I'm off...need to cruise some blogs.

C U Later

Hammy

7 Comments:

At Sat Jul 29, 02:54:00 AM, Blogger CoffeeDog said...

ROFL about the movie!

I once gave a homeless guy 5 bucks for no reason, i.e. he didn't ak me for anything but his pawing thru garbage looking for food trigger my kindness. He almost cried.

Redeeming bottles? We used to do that when were kids to buy candy and cigarettes. They stopped bottle redemption in Ohio (where I grew up), for whatever reason....

 
At Sun Jul 30, 05:08:00 AM, Blogger kimmyk said...

I was gonna say in Ohio we don't do the bottle thing anymore. I didn't know people still did that. Do they make pop in bottles still? Like 8 packs? How crazy is that.

Wak probably hasn't told ya about the bike cause he knows you'll kick his butt off it.

 
At Sun Jul 30, 07:07:00 PM, Blogger Firestarter5 said...

I found that pic Hammy.....

 
At Mon Jul 31, 06:14:00 AM, Blogger Badbeans said...

The family saw "Pirates", and thought it was good. But I agree, making a movie around another sequel is cheesy.

You commented that the Chicago minimum wage increase to $10/hr, with $3/hr benefits, is paltry. Currently, minimum wage is in the national spotlight, with both parties favoring and increase. In your opinion, how much would be an acceptable increase in the minimum wage nationally? Just curious.

 
At Mon Jul 31, 07:50:00 AM, Blogger Wakanuki said...

Whoa... the minimum wage thing. It is a very complex issue. Although, on the surface you may think that bumping up the minimum wage is a great idea. There are ramifications:

Think about the semi-specialized workers, or workers that have jobs with some responsibilities that are making about $10 bucks an hour NOW. Do you think they are going to get bumped up too? Or, do you think the minimum would go up, without a ripple affect. What about the person who started at $8 and received raises to $10. Should they start receiving $12 - or does their past rewards disappear?

In this area, day care workers make about $8 - $10 an hour ( which personally I think is way too low). Someone flipping burgers should not make the same wage as someone with real responsibilities.

Some jobs should be lower wage, and hopefully it will be enough for people to want to better themselves out of the low-pay job. Hiking the minimum wage too much will increase the costs to what's left of middle America.

This doesn't mean I'm for or against it... Just scratching the surface that it is a complex issue.

On a lighter note: I've had a bike for a long time... You just haven't seen it since I had kids. And you won't see it again until my kids are older than your static 29 years.

- Wak

 
At Wed Aug 02, 05:50:00 PM, Blogger Hamrose said...

Max, I'm sure the papparazzi was just a waiting to get a shot like that, but I don't care. That picture is priceless... Made me buy the NY Times just so I could have it.

 
At Wed Aug 09, 11:19:00 AM, Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Yes Yes Yes...buy the Times. It's paying my bills these days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home