My Onion Pi

If you can figure out the name, you'll know what it's about. Fortunately, I'm literate. I'm also funny on occasion. Just beware of the flying PMS.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy Fourth of July


Happy 4th of July. Hope everyone is having a nice relaxing day free from work, stress and George Bush.

On this day I like to remember that the United States belongs to the people. (No matter what the elected assholes like to think.)

I also like to take a moment and remember the "red" in the stripes and say a from-the-heart thank you to all those who gave of themselves in this country's history. The United States has many outstanding things about it, but I think our military ranks right up there. It never fails to amaze me that no matter how lazy, stupid, selfish or ignorant the general population of this country seems to me at times, that what rises to the top are dedicated and honorable people who make the voluntary (and sometimes involuntary) choice to defend their nation and President; in more often than not, dismal and dangerous circumstances. Usually on foreign shores and sometimes without much support or understanding at home.

I never take their sacrifice lightly and I know without them I couldn't have the life I lead today. This day belongs to them. And because of them this day belongs to us.

Kiss a soldier! (and then send him to me...)

Star Spangled Hammy

6 Comments:

At Tue Jul 04, 01:33:00 AM, Blogger WDKY said...

I won't be kissing any soldiers, but I like the sentiment. Happy Independance Day to you, Hammy, and to that crazy family of yours :-)

 
At Tue Jul 04, 05:30:00 AM, Blogger kimmyk said...

I kissed Honey---he should be there by the time the fireworks are lit. When you're done smoochin on him...kindly send him home....with some NY style cheesecake, ok? Thank you.

 
At Wed Jul 05, 07:16:00 AM, Blogger Badbeans said...

Could not agree with you more. We have the greatest military in the world, not only because of their firepower and expertise, but because each and every one of the members have volunteered their lives to protect the ideals that this great nation was founded upon.

I hope that the fact that I agree wholeheartedly with you on something doesn't scare you into changing your mind.

 
At Thu Jul 06, 07:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The truth is always a bit different from what you'd like to believe.

 
At Thu Jul 06, 02:54:00 PM, Blogger Hamrose said...

Well forty-two I'm just going by the people I have known in my life that have gone into the military. I'm not out to grandize anything. I'm just saying I appreciate the fact that somebody somewhere is willing to put their ass in a sling for God and country knowing full well that they may not come back from it. That takes a special something and I'm acknowledging it that's all.

 
At Sat Jul 08, 03:51:00 PM, Blogger Jeff Vachon said...

Belated Happy Fourth of July to you Hammy! I also support our soldiers and take heart that many of them do not believe in what they are doing over there. I fully appreciate that they are willing to die for our country. However, in the words of one soldier, "it becomes very different when you are dying for someone elses God and someone elses country".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home