My Onion Pi

If you can figure out the name, you'll know what it's about. Fortunately, I'm literate. I'm also funny on occasion. Just beware of the flying PMS.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

It's Here!!


Well the "new arrival" is finally here and it's...a Sunrocket!

I, ahem...I'm all done with the other kind of new arrivals.

In case you don't know what a Sunrocket is, it's a new internet phone company. I guess it's like Vonage only they don't have the same (annoying) "catchy" little jingle and they don't seem to advertise on the Boob Tube as much.

It's so simple even the technically challenged Ham-meister could connect it.
And if it lets me give my greedy evil phone company Verizon the boot, then I'll be even happier.
So far it seems pretty good. The voice quality is very clear. (Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference) And the best part is the price. $199 a year for unlimited calling in the US, Canada and Puert Rico (if I ever get a yen to call Puerto Rico).

I have to wait until my telephone number is transferred over to give Verizon the Heave Ho.
Speaking of Ho's...my "Freedom Essentials" plan with Verizon works like this:

Verizon "Freedom Essentials" Plan $39.95

Other Ways to Fuck You:
USF - Long distance $1.23
Surcharge(s) $1.24
Federal Tax $1.24
NYS Tax/Local Tax $3.40
FCC Line Charge $6.40
Federal USF Surcharge $0.73
Surcharges(s) $0.22
911 Surcharge $0.35
Federal Tax $0.22
NYS/Local Tax $0.61

Total of extra Bullshit $15.64

REAL cost of doing business with Verizon $55.59


Now you see why I want to add them to the long list of "Companies I Can't Wait to Screw Back?"


I checked out Sunrocket before I turned over my credit card number and it seems the company is run by Lisa Hook, who used to run AOL's broadband division and grew them up from a mere 300,000 subscribers to over 5 million in two years. Apparently she came out of retirement to run this company.
They've had write ups in the major papers and Money Magazine, Forbes and the Techie mags as well.
But I like to go "to the source" so when the cable dude came over to repair the damage created by the furry little bastards also known as "tree rats" , I asked him about internet phone companies and he said "Thumbs Up!". All that was good enough for me.

So for a FLAT FEE of $199 a year (they also have monthly $9.95 option for 200 minutes a month which apparently includes international calls as well...if ya ever get a hankering to call Iraq, Iran or Afghanastan to find out what's really going on over there....) which INCLUDES ALL TAXES, SURCHARGES and BUTT FUCKS WITH OR WITHOUT VASALINE you too can give your greedy evil phone company the HEAVE HO.

Check them out at sunrocket.com The cable dude told me that some of those left brain thinkers at work had switched from Vonage (which I have never tried and can't vouch for either way) to Sunrocket and liked it better. So, if you have tried Vonage and didn't like it for some reason, I can assure you this Sunrocket deal smokes, and the voice quality is no different.

So give the Ho a Heave, and save some real bucks in the process.
And it will make you more Tech saavy! Didja notice there are TWO links in this post, huh, didja???! Well...there ya go.

Hammy

5 Comments:

At Sat May 20, 12:44:00 PM, Blogger kimmyk said...

You crack me up!

We only have cell phones in our house-and we're in a committed relationship with Sprint PCS for another 2 years. If I want to get out of said relationship-I can, but according to my prenup I will have to pay 300 dollars per phone line which if I do the math correctly [it's been a while since I've done math] I would owe said company 1200 dollars. Ouch.

 
At Sun May 21, 06:43:00 AM, Blogger Ladyred said...

Yea I have a cell phone as well. Granted I can relate to the drop call commercials, but ya know what?> I don't have a contract and I get more minutes for the price than any other company (I THINK I researched them all). I don't need any fancy crap on my phone, so I don't need a $200 phone service. I thought about getting the home service because I wanted the internet but ya know, I'll just piggyback until I can't anymore, then take my lazy ass up to the library. I don't need another internet addiction. Thanks for stoppin by! Great site you have here!

 
At Mon May 22, 02:48:00 AM, Blogger WDKY said...

I'm suddenly discovering that it's normal in the US to do away with land lines altogether... weird.

When can I expect a call, Hammy?

 
At Mon May 22, 10:08:00 AM, Blogger Hamrose said...

To update: I have noticed a few drop out spots during my calls. And that echo effect occurs sometimes too.But I was getting that with my cell phone as well, so basically, it sounds like I'm on a cell phone when I talk on my home phone, but I can live with that. I can't wait to dump Verizon!

I know alot of people who only have cell phones now, but I guess I'm just an old fashioned girl! I need a land line at home.

 
At Mon May 22, 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Hamrose said...

WDKY I don't have the international plan. So, basically you'll have to move to the US, Canada or Puerto Rico...LOL
So the choice is warm, cold or colder climate wise or dumb, dumber and dumbest politically. Although I probably shouldn't insult Canadian politics since the US acts like a huge vacuum politically...sucking the brains out of the Canadian government with each year of Dubya that goes by.

Poor Canadians....and they didn't even vote for him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home