My Onion Pi

If you can figure out the name, you'll know what it's about. Fortunately, I'm literate. I'm also funny on occasion. Just beware of the flying PMS.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The L, W & W...


Yesterday I finally went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I have to say it's been a few decades since I read that story, but the movie was fantabulous! (Aside from the fact we were sitting in front of the Loud Family, and their kid kept kicking the back of my seat! Grr-rrr-rr....) But that aside, the movie rocked! The characters were very well done, both human and otherwise. And that Witch! Man, was she Eeeeeevil... (reminds me of a boss I once had...).
Surprisingly Hollywood hasn't ruined the crap out of the storyline either!!
The computer graphics weren't over the top, the children's casting was spot on, the scenery was realistic in it's fantastical approach, and the story moved along nicely, not to mention a deliciously Good and Evil storyline.

What I love most about movies like this is that Good triumphs over Evil. And that's how I like things to be. (Warning: this may be a bit of a spoiler if you haven't seen the movie...) At the part where Aslan appears on the steps, death conquered, his resurrected self restored to full glory with the blazing sun shining behind him, I found myself sitting in the theater with tears streaming down my face. (Fortunately it was dark and the seats were high).

I'm sure my Christ archetype was being tapped into. Lewis was considered a Christian writer, so the allegory throughout the movie was pretty difficult to miss, but for me that is what made it so great. (What a great alternative way to illustrate the story of redemption.) Some say the seven books of the Chronicles actually correlate one book with each of the seven deadly sins (pride, greed, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony and sloth).
The L, W & W presumably touches upon the sin of gluttony, as the Turkish Delight ensnares Edmond into the service of the Witch.
Edmond was an "everyman" type of character. A little bit selfish, a little bit jealous, a little bit self serving. While he was not evil, for a while his acts unwittingly allowed evil to flourish nonetheless.

I don't know all the in's and out's of religious dogmas, all I know, is in the end Good will triumph over Evil.
I don't know when, and I guess I really don't know how. But at that moment, in the Regal theater, sitting in front of little Katie-kick-the-seat-in-front-of-me and in between my popcorn stuffed, M&M laced children; at that moment that the resurrected Aslan appeared on the steps - As I sat there tear streaked, I knew in my heart that one day all of this grinding pervasive Evil was doomed to fall. And it will happen whether or not I'm here to see that day. Just like the White Witch of Narnia lost her reign, no Evil has the ability to outlast Good. That's the hope that fuels me. And movies like this fuel that hope.

But it's just my Onion pi............

Turkishly Delighted Hammy

4 Comments:

At Tue Jan 17, 04:23:00 PM, Blogger kimmyk said...

I loved that movie! and i cried too!

 
At Tue Jan 17, 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I loved the movie as well, even though I haven't read any of the books. Absolutely didn't get the Christian allegory, although I've read about that since. Plus I guess I'm Agnostic, so perhaps it wouldn't have been all that obvious.

 
At Wed Jan 18, 06:15:00 AM, Blogger WoodChuck said...

Seems like the only time and place I weep is in a movie. Movies have a way of bypassing our over stimulated cerebral cortex and slamming our hearts. Maybe there's more going on there than I know. Anyway, there were two places I lost it in this movie. One is the most obvious where Aslan gives his life. The other would take way too long to describe the scene and dialog.

 
At Thu Jan 19, 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Hamrose said...

It actually spurred me on to buy the set of (7)books. Which are very good, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home